You are here
"A Great Place to Live, Work and Play!"
As the chief legislative body of the municipal corporation, the City Council conducts regular meetings for the purpose of accomplishing City Charter-prescribed responsibilities and business transactions. City Council meetings are broadcast live on Lynchburg Government Channel LTV 15. Council meetings can also be viewed ONLINE.
City Council has two regular meetings each month: the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays
City Council Chamber, 1st Floor, City Hall, 900 Church Street
4:00 p.m. - Work Session items
7:30 p.m. - Public Hearings and other matters are heard
The second regular meeting during the months of July, August and December are normally canceled each year by City Council. (Rules of Procedure)
Through popular elections on even numbered years, Lynchburg citizens regularly choose the 7 members of City Council. With staggered 4-year terms of office, City Council is elected on either an At-large (3 members) or Ward (4 members) representational basis. Among their group, the elected City Council members, in turn, choose by simple majority vote a President or Mayor, who serves a 2-year term.
- Council - Manager Form of Government
- Council Policy Governance and Leadership Role
- Among other duties, the Mayor reviews requests for proclamations, letters of recognition, certificates and Keys to the City. (Proclamation Request Guidelines)
Other Responsibilities of City Council
Any and all additions and amendments to the Lynchburg City Code
Creation of council-appointed Boards and Commissions
- 2015 Legislative Agenda - ADOPTED
- 2014-2015 FOIA/COIA/PRA (Freedom of Information Act/Conflict of Interest Act/Public Records Act)