You are here
The Office of Animal Control and Wildlife Management, under the command of Chief Animal Warden G. Todd Jones, employs two part-time Wildlife Specialists and four full-time Animal Wardens. Animal Wardens enforce all City and State Codes relating to animals and fowl, and patrol the city of Lynchburg to ensure public safety by controlling loose dogs. While Animal Wardens do not pick up stray cats, there are a number of City Codes that require the following:
- All dogs and cats over four months of age must be inoculated against rabies
- All dogs must have a City of Lynchburg Dog License (this can be purchased at City Hall at the payment window)
- In the City of Lynchburg parks and recreation areas, dogs must be kept on a leash at all times
- Barking dog and other public nuisance complaints cannot be prosecuted if the complainant is not willing to testify in court
- Citizens that decide to pick up stray dogs on their own are responsible for taking them to the shelter during normal business hours
- And, please DO NOT FEED WILD ANIMALS!
Lynchburg City Code: Chapter 7 Animals and Fowl
- Animal Control contracts with the Lynchburg Humane Society to shelter stray pets and various animal cases.
- Stray injured pets, found in City of Lynchburg, are taken to Lake Forest Animal Hospital for treatment.
- How to Prevent or Resolve Conflict with Wildlife: Department of Game and Inland Fisheries
Wildlife Specialists work to control deer populations in the City of Lynchburg, for the purpose of reducing the damage to plants and associated risk of disease. If you wish to apply for a permit to allow hunting on your property please call 434-455-6058 or email email@example.com with your name, address of the property, and phone number.
Animal Wardens are on-duty Monday - Friday 7AM - 6PM and Police officers respond to only "animal related emergencies" at all other times.
Chief Warden Jones works Monday - Friday 7AM - 3PM(434) 847-1602 - Contact Dispatch for immediate service. You may leave a general message for Animal Control at 434-455-6058 or email firstname.lastname@example.org