You are here
City Code Article III Section 11-161-Section 11-173
City Council finds that residential dwelling units, when not the subject of regular inspections to ensure compliance with applicable occupancy, building maintenance and property maintenance regulations, may become unsafe, a public nuisance and unfit for human habitation. Residential rental dwelling units are subject to overcrowding, structural deterioration and an overall neglected appearance. These conditions can lead to a decline in neighborhood quality of life, neighborhood appearance and the value of real estate. This article is adopted to protect the public health, safety and welfare in residential rental dwelling units located within those areas of the City determined by City Council herein to be in need of a special program of inspections of residential rental dwelling units. This program is designed and intended to prevent property deterioration and neighborhood blight in designated rental inspection districts and to promote safe, decent and sanitary residential rental dwelling units for citizens by requiring property building maintenance and continued compliance with applicable building regulations.
Rental Program Process
- There is a charge of $50.00 for the initial rental inspection. The first follow-up inspection is at no charge. Further follow-up inspections (#2 rental, #3 rental, & no-show rentals) are an additional $50.00.
- If no violations are cited or minor violations are abated within a reasonable time, a four-year waiver and a Certificate of Compliance are issued. Rental fees must be paid no later than 30 days after the initial rental inspection. Payment after 30 days will result in a one-year Certificate of Compliance being issued. After the four-year certificate expires, a rental inspection will be scheduled.
- If violations are cited and not abated within a reasonable period of time, a one-year Certificate of Compliance is issued. After the one-year certificate expires, a rental inspection will be scheduled.
- For an inspection time to be rescheduled, please call 48 hours prior to scheduled inspection time at 434-455-3922 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a new inspection date and time.
- Please make all check's payable to the City of Lynchburg. Cash or credit card payments along with the Inspection of Residential Rental Unit letter/bill, is available at the Billings and Collections window Monday- Friday 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM (online rental fee payments are not available).
For a comprehensive overview of the rental program process and rental inspection checklist, please refer to the following links:
Rental Program Links and Resources
- Residential Rental Inspection Program Brochure with Rental Inspection Checklist
- City Code (Chapter 11. Buildings >Article III. Residential Rental Property Inspections)
- Virginia Property Maintenance Code 2009
- Virginia Property Maintenance Code 2012
- International Property Maintenance Code
For further information about the rental program, please contact:Dana Horne
Rental Program Administrator