You are here
Off-Duty Officer Employment Restrictions
Prohibited Types of Off-Duty Employment
Lynchburg Police Department Officer's are prohibited from accepting or engaging in any off-duty employment that constitutes a threat to the status or dignity of the police as a professional occupation, which includes:
- Establishments which sell or rent pornographic books, magazines, sexual devices, or videos
Establishments which possess a Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Commission license to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on premises, excluding:
- Banquet licenses
- Businesses having a contract with the City where off-duty officers are required to be employed.
- Any gambling establishments not exempted by law
Any employment where the nature of the work, rules of the business or instructions from the employer require the employee to:
- Compromise their position as a law enforcement officer, or
- Do anything contrary to department policies, procedures, or ethical law enforcement practices.
- As a bail bond agent or for a bail bond agency.
Involving investigative work for the following:
- Insurance agencies
- Private security services
- Collection agencies
To act as private investigators or in any off-duty capacity in which:
- The primary purpose of such employment is to gather information for a civil action
- Such employment is for the purpose of appearing as a witness in a civil action.
By a business intending to use the employees as temporary replacements for regular employees on strike
- An employee may be employed if the purpose of such employment is the protection of the business property in a law enforcement capacity.
- This is not intended to restrict those employees already employed in a business from working if that business becomes involved in a labor dispute.
- That presents a potential conflict of interest between their duties as employees of the police department and their duties for the secondary employer.
- Approval of any off duty request is at the department’s discretion and will be based upon but not limited to; type of event, size of event, availability of off duty resources and potential for reduction in on duty resources.