You are here
A Lynchburg Police Department Officer Candidate for Employment must meet the following criteria:
- Ability to act without direct supervision and exercise considerable independent judgment at all times.
- Be willing to sign an agreement waiving the right to use all tobacco products both on and off duty.
- Possess a valid Virginia operator's license at the time of employment.
- 20/30 vision or correctable to 20/30 in each eye.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or possess a General Education Degree Certificate (G.E.D.)
- One may apply for Police Officer at 20 years of age and must have reached their 21st birthday at the time of projected graduation from the police academy basic school.
- A high moral standard is required of all officer applicants; a conviction for any felony is grounds for disqualification.
- Be a U.S. Citizen.
- Ability to analyze a variety of crisis and non-crisis situations quickly and objectively and respond appropriately.
- Ability to carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to develop skill in the use and care of firearms.
- Skill in the operation of an automobile and a good driving record.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence clearly and concisely.
- Ability to deal with people in a polite, courteous and firm manner.
- Ability to work varied shifts.
For more information, contact LPD Personnel and Training: