You are here
A Lynchburg Police Department Officer Candidate for Employment must meet the following criteria:
- Ability to act without direct supervision and exercise considerable independent judgment at all times.
- Be willing to sign an agreement waiving the right to smoke tobacco both on and off duty.
- Possess a valid Virginia operator's license at the time of employment.
- 20/30 vision or correctable to 20/30 in each eye.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or possess a General Education Degree Certificate (G.E.D.)
- One may apply for Police Officer at 20 years of age and must have reached their 21st birthday at the time of projected graduation from the police academy basic school. Cadets may apply at 18 years of age.
- A high moral standard is required of all officer applicants; a conviction for any felony is grounds for disqualification.
- Be a U.S. Citizen.
- Ability to analyze a variety of crisis and non-crisis situations quickly and objectively and respond appropriately.
- Ability to carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to develop skill in the use and care of firearms.
- Skill in the operation of an automobile and a good driving record.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence clearly and concisely.
- Ability to deal with people in a polite, courteous and firm manner.
- Ability to work varied shifts.
For more information, contact LPD Personnel and Training: