You are here
Mayor's Youth Council
Apply to the Mayor's Youth Council
- High school student in grades 9 through 11 (Seniors must have been a member of council the preceding year).
- Interest in representing youth and in developing leadership qualities.
- Commit to attend a day retreat, monthly meetings, and various scheduled activities throughout the year.
- Have parental awareness, consent, and support.
Return the application by FAX or MAIL to:
Youth and Prevention Services
99 Ninth Street
Lynchburg, VA 24504
FAX: (434) 847-1785
Phone: (434) 455-5685
- Attend at least one City Council meeting during the year and attend the State of the City Address.
- Promote the Mayor’s Youth Council in schools and community.
- Work to raise the consciousness of youth issues in the Lynchburg community.
- Participate in youth awareness and fundraising activities.
The mission of the Mayor’s Youth Council is to explore and communicate the needs, problems, and issues affecting youth in the City of Lynchburg regardless of race, gender, or socio-economic level.
- To investigate needs, problems, and issues affecting youth.
- To provide a forum through which youth may express ideas, needs, and suggestions.
- To make recommendations for and assist in, studies/surveys regarding youth services.
- To serve as a liaison to the Mayor, City Council, City Administration, and the City’s youth.
Some of Our Past Activities
- Sponsored “Youth Councils’ Together Conference”
- Produced “MYCity” (Teen Television show)
- Conducted public awareness campaigns on current youth issues
- Performed community service projects
- Hosted activities for youth including dances and skating parties
- Participated in Red Ribbon Week activities
- Adopted a child/family at Christmas
- Participated in Youth Day of Caring