You are here
A Qualifying Life Event or a change in family status is an event that allows City Employees to make changes to their benefits during the year. Changes must be made within 31 days of the event.
Examples include but are not limited to:
- Marriage/Divorce (does not include separation)*
- Eligible dependent loses or acquires coverage*
- Change in spouse's employment status resulting in loss/gain of other group coverage*
- Change in employment status
- Change in Medicare eligibility*
- Change in Medicaid/CHIP eligibility**
- Death of spouse or dependent
- Change in your dependent child's status
In addition to the qualifying events listed above:
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA): When your child ceases to be an eligible dependent (turns age 13) you may make changes to your Dependent Care FSA. If you experience a change in your dependent care provider, you may change your enrollment or contributions in the Dependent Care FSA.
- Change in day care provider (Dependent Care FSA only)*
- Healthcare FSA: you may only enroll or increase your contributions with a qualifying life event
*Supporting Documentation may be required.
**A change in Medicaid/CHIP eligibility allows up to 60 days to change your benefits with proper documentation.