You are here
Main Number: (434) 455-5850
- 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
- 8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., Tuesday
- Closed on City holidays.
Drop box available near the main entrance for after hours.99 Ninth Street
P.O. Box 6798
Lynchburg, VA 24505
The Lynchburg Department of Social Services, under the leadership of Director Tamara Rosser, recently combined with the Lynchburg Department of Juvenile Services to form the Department of Human Services. It is one of 120 local departments in Virginia's state-supervised, locally-administered public social services system. The Department is an agency of city government which administers federal, state and local public assistance and social work service programs. To learn more about the Virginia Department of Social Services, go to http://www.dss.virginia.gov.
- Apply online for financial benefits at https://www.commonhelp.virginia.gov
- You can also apply for benefits over the phone at 855-635-4370
- Benefit applications are taken at the Agency daily from 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. on Tuesdays) You will be notified for an appointment, if required.
A limited number of parking spaces are available in the agency lot immediately adjacent to the visitor entrance. We ask that all visitors be mindful and considerate of all parking signage, as well as courteous to others.
Part Time Positions Available
The Adult Services Unit is accepting applications for Companion Program providers. This is a part time position that provides light housekeeping and companionship for adults. Applications can be picked up from the receptionist on the 3rd floor of the Human Services building through Monday, January 14, 2019. Call 434-455-5746 for additional information.