You are here
Take the Foster Parent Quiz
TAKE THIS TRUE/FALSE QUIZ TO HELP YOU TO DETERMINE IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO BECOME A FOSTER/ADOPTIVE PARENT.
1. I HAVE ENOUGH ROOM IN MY HOME FOR A FOSTER/ADOPTED CHILD. (True/False)
You must have adequate bedroom space for a foster/adopted child. A foster/adopted child may share a bedroom with another child of the same sex but the child cannot share a bedroom with anyone over the age of 18 years old.
2. I AM READY TO HAVE A SAFETY INSPECTION OF MY HOME DONE NOW. (True/False)
It is important that your home is safe and free of hazards. During the home study process, your Home Development Worker will conduct a safety inspection of your home. You must have working smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher.
3. I AM IN GOOD PHYSICAL, EMOTIONAL AND MENTAL HEALTH. (True/False)
Being a parent can sometimes be demanding. You must be healthy and emotionally stable to care for foster/adoptive children. Everyone in your home must provide a medical statement completed by a physician indicating they are free of communicable diseases.
4. I HAVE NEVER HAD A VALID CASE WITH AN AGENCY DUE TO ABUSE OR NEGLECT. (True/False)
If you have had a valid Child Protection case, you may not be able to become a Foster/Adoptive Parent. We will review our records as well as any other state where the applicant(s) resided.
5. I HAVE ADEQUATE INCOME TO MEET MY CURRENT FAMILY’S NEEDS. (True/False)
You do not have to be rich to become a Foster/Adoptive Parent; however, you must have enough income to meet your own family’s needs. During the home study process, you will be asked to provide proof of
income and to review family expenses.
6. I AM LEGALLY SINGLE OR LEGALLY MARRIED. (True/False)
Foster/Adoptive Parents can be single, married, divorced or widowed.
7. NO ADULT IN MY HOME HAS EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A CRIME. (True/False)
If you or any adult residing in your home has been convicted of certain criminal offenses, you cannot become a Foster/Adoptive Parent. Each adult member in your household over the age 18 will be fingerprinted. If you have specific questions regarding which crimes are prohibited, please call the Home Development Unit.
8. I AM READY TO BEGIN THE HOME STUDY PROCESS NOW. (True/False)
You are ready to begin the home study process if your life and home are stable. “Stable” means that you are not about to move and are not having financial, marital or emotional difficulties or making any major life changes in the near future.If you answered “true” to all of the statements, you are ready to begin the process of becoming a foster/adoptive parent.
If you answered “false” to any statement, please contact us for more information.