You are here
12th Street Utility Project
UPDATE: 12th STREET DETOUR IN PLACE
This construction project continues to impact traffic to and from Dunbar Middle School and R.S. Payne Elementary School. In addition, GLTC bus routes in this area will continue to be closed.
Currently, the northbound lane on 12th Street (from Buchanan Street to Harrison Street) is closed with detours in place via Park Avenue and Fifth Street. It is anticipated that construction will continue along this area through September 2020 with one-way traffic on 12th Street and occasional shifts in traffic patterns.
Motorists should use caution while traveling through the work zones and expect delays until the construction is completed in October 2020 when all affected streets will receive a full asphalt overlay.
As part of the 12th Street Utility Project, the northbound lane of 12th Street (headed toward downtown Lynchburg) between Buchanan and Jackson Streets is closed to through traffic. Detour signs direct motorists from Park Avenue to Fifth Street to Church Street to 12th Street. The detour is expected to be in place until September. The southbound lane of 12th Street (headed toward Kemper Street) will remain open.
ABOUT THE 12TH STREET UTILITY PROJECT
WHAT’S BEING DONE?
HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?
HOW WILL IT AFFECT MY NEIGHBORHOOD?
- Side streets may be closed to traffic during construction but you will have access to your driveway at all times. Street parking may not be available during construction.
- If a planned temporary water service shut-off is necessary, you will be notified 24 hours in advance with a door hanger on your front door. Service interruptions will be minimal.
- If you experience discolored water, run cold water taps for 3-5 minutes until water clears. If the water does not clear, contact Lynchburg Water Resources at (434) 455-4250.
- Garbage pickup should not be affected.
- Emergency vehicles will have access at all times.
- Work taking place within the Federal Hill Historic District will replace existing material: sidewalks, curbing, brick, flagstone, etc.