Civil Cases

Important Notice

The Office of the Clerk of Circuit Court is committed to public service. We are dedicated to providing our patrons with excellent customer service and will assist you with any questions or concerns about our policies and procedures.

However, we are prohibited by law from giving legal advice, restating the law, or recommending legal action. It is not the intention of our office, nor of this website, to offer legal solutions. Questions regarding interpretation of the law should be directed to an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

The purpose of this information is to better inform the general public of procedural matters. Nothing contained herein is intended to advise anyone as to legal remedies for a particular circumstance. Circuit Court Clerks and their Deputy Clerks cannot render legal advice.

Case Status and Information

Civil case files are open to the public with the exception of Adoption files, certain Juvenile files, and files sealed by order of the Court. The public case status search allows searches of files by case number or name.

Filing Fees

If you have questions about filing fees, please call us at 434-455-2620. We require a civil coversheet indicating the type of case you are filing and the amount of damages requested.

Legislative Changes Effective July 1, 2020

  1. View Legislation (PDF)
    1. HB306/SB938 - Increase in Library of Virginia Fee
      • Increases the Library of Virginia Fee collected for Recording and Indexing from $1.50 to $3.50
    2. HB1726/SB1038 - Open Space Preservation Fee
      • Increases the Fee from $1 to $3.

A fee is imposed on a Deed, Deed of Trust, Contract, or Other Instrument admitted to record pursuant to Code of Virginia 58.1-817 and admitted to record in jurisdictions in which open-space easements are held by the Virginia Outdoors Foundation.

Restoration of Driving Privileges

If you need to petition the Circuit Court to restore your driving privileges, bring a transcript and compliance summary from the DMV that is current within 30 days. Contact the Clerk's Office for further information.

Name Changes

Name changes are filed with the Circuit Court in the jurisdiction where you live. The filing fee is $41 with cash or check and an additional $2 with a debit or credit card. You must bring a photo ID with you to file a name change or have the signatures notarized.

If your name change is filed pursuant to a divorce, the fee to record the name change on the deed book is $26 as of July 1, 2020. Contact the Clerk's Office for further information.


We are prohibited by law from giving legal advice. The filing fee for a divorce is $86. Service fees are $12 per person and per document served. Below are some helpful resources if you are filing your own divorce:


Expungements are filed with the Circuit Court where you were convicted. The petition should include your personal information, the charge or charges to be expunged, and all other information pertaining to those charges. Be sure to include each charge to be expunged, case numbers for each charge, and coinciding dates along with certified copies of warrants/indictments showing the final disposition of the case must be attached to the petition. A granted expungement removes your charge from the Court's records. This may not remove your charge from local law enforcement agencies or some third-party background investigation sites.

The filing fee is $98. This fee may be paid by check, cash, or money order. Checks or money orders should be payable to Lynchburg Circuit Court. Please note that this process may take 3 to 6 months.

Restoration of Civil Rights

In Virginia, any person convicted of a felony is stripped of certain civil rights. New Virginia residents who have not restored their civil rights in the state of their conviction(s) also are stripped of their civil rights including a right to vote, run for and hold public office, serve on juries, or serve as a notary public. After the Governor has restored your civil rights, you may petition the Circuit Court where you live for restoration of your firearm privileges. If you live out of state, you may petition the Circuit Court where you were convicted. For information about restoring your civil rights, you may contact the Secretary of the Commonwealth at 804-786-2441 or the Secretary of the Commonwealth Restoration of Rights.

Restoration of Firearm Privileges

If your firearm privileges were taken away due to a felony charge(s), you can apply for a Restoration of Firearm Privileges with the circuit court in the jurisdiction where you live after your civil rights have been restored by the Secretary of the Commonwealth. (If you are no longer a Virginia resident, you must petition with the jurisdiction where you received the charge). If your rights were removed due to an assault and battery charge, we recommend you contact an attorney as may not be able to restore your rights using this process. If your firearm rights were taken away due to a voluntary or involuntary commitment, contact the General District Court at 434-455-2640 to petition for restoration of your firearm rights.

When you file for restoration of firearm privileges, use the form below and attach a copy of the certificate from the governor's office that you received when your civil rights were restored. You will also need to return a completed fingerprint card along with the petition. The filing fee is $98. Per VA section 18.2-308-2 (C) a completed fingerprint card and completed VA State Police form SP-337 (completed by the Court) must be submitted if your firearm rights are granted.

Hope Cards

Hope cards are convenient wallet-sized plastic cards that contain all essential information about a civil protective order. The Hope Card does not replace the existing protective order and law enforcement will still need to verify the order in the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN) when they are presented with the Hope Card. Hope Cards are available to those with a final civil protective order issued at any level of the Virginia Court system for a duration of 12 months or longer. They are not issued for emergency protective orders, preliminary protective orders, or "no contact" orders in a criminal case. To apply for a Hope Card, complete the application below or obtain the application from the Court or a local victim advocate. Once completed, the application must be turned in to the court Clerk where the final protective order was issued and processed by the clerk. Hope Cards will be sent directly to the applicant.

Electronic Filing (VJEFS)

Lynchburg Circuit Court is now accepting electronically filed cases from attorneys through the VJEFS system. At this time, any additional fees are waived due to the COVID-19 health crisis.

Electronic Voucher Payment System (EVPS)

The Electronic Voucher Payment System is used by attorneys for online submission of the DC-40 (List of Allowances) by court-appointed counsel.

Additional Information

Free Legal Resources

As an administrative body of the law, Lynchburg Circuit Court staff is not able to provide you with legal advice, recommendations, or guidance. Below are some free legal resources.