Marriage License

Marriage License

We strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment for a marriage license. We issue marriage licenses between 9 am and 4 pm. Usually, both parties must be present to complete the marriage license.

The applicants must appear together at the Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court with valid identification. The fee is $32.50 and includes a certified copy of the marriage license if paid by cash, check, or money order. An added $2 convenience fee is charged for credit or debit card transactions. You will need to know the following personal information to complete your marriage license application.

The license must be used within sixty (60) days of issuance or returned to the Clerk's Office for filing. There is no waiting period to be married after you receive your marriage license. The marriage ceremony must be performed by a person authorized to perform ceremonies by a Virginia Circuit Court. If your pastor is an out-of-state minister, they will need to register with a Virginia Circuit Court to be authorized to perform Virginia ceremonies. Certified copies of marriage licenses issued in this office may be obtained for $2.50. For information regarding the minimum age requirements and consent, refer to Sections 20-48 and 20-49 of the Code of Virginia.

Marriage Celebrants

The Court has a list of full-time marriage celebrants who are authorized by the Court to perform civil ceremonies in Virginia. If you would like to have a civil ceremony performed by someone who is not a minister but lives within the 24th Circuit of Virginia, they can apply to be a one-time celebrant. The filing fee for a one-time or full-time celebrant is $56 and the petition should include at least one letter of recommendation. If approved, applicants may be required to post a $500 bond payable by cash or cashier's check.

Completing a Marriage License - for Celebrants and Officiants

The minister or celebrant is responsible for ensuring they have received authorization to perform VA wedding ceremonies from a Circuit Court in Virginia and should complete the full bottom portion on both A and B copies of the marriage license and return them to the issuing court. See the example for completing a marriage in the link below: