Important Update Regarding Passports
The Lynchburg Circuit Court Clerk's Office continues to process passport applications/renewals as a courtesy to this community. However, please understand that though we are glad to provide this service, this is an ancillary function and not a priority function for our office. Therefore, depending on the workload, there may be occasions where there is a wait involved. When we anticipate a wait, we will certainly communicate that to those seeking our assistance in case they would like to go elsewhere for this service or come back at a later time. The best times to come to our office seeking to secure or renew passports are between the hours of 8:30 am to 11 am and 1 pm to 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday. We stop processing passports at 3:30 pm each day.
Passport processing time may vary and we recommend that you check the State Department Website for Passport Processing Times. This will have the most up to date information about passport processing time for regular and expedited service.
Customers who have life or death emergencies or other urgent travel within 3 business days should visit the State Department website for assistance in obtaining their passport.
The Clerk's Office accepts passport applications Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 3:30 pm, however, please try to arrive by 3:15 pm so that we can ensure that we can mail out your application the same day. To ensure that the Clerk's Office can efficiently serve you, please call 434-455-2620 to discuss what you may need to bring with your application.
The passport must be mailed with a check or money order made out to the Department of State. Routine applications are $130, and expedited applications are $190. Both require a separate $35 processing fee that may be paid with cash, check, or card.
Guidelines for Obtaining a Passport at the Circuit Court Clerk's Office
- Passports are issued between 8:30 am and 3:30 pm every day on a walk-in basis. It is recommended that you arrive by 3 pm. If you have a large group of people coming to get passports, please call ahead 434-455-2620. Our office cannot accept passport applications after 3:30 pm
- The Circuit Court Clerk's Office is a passport acceptance office. Photos are not taken here and the Office does not issue money orders.
- In addition to the passport fee required by the U.S. State Department, the Circuit Court charges a $35 processing fee for each new passport which must be paid separately. The processing fee may be paid by cash, check, money order, or credit card (processing fee with all credit card transactions).
Required Documents to Apply for a Passport
- 2-inch x 2-inch passport photo
- These can be taken at CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Sam's, etc.
- Check or money order made out to U.S. Department of State for issuance fees
- Government Issued photo ID such as State ID or Driver's License
- If you have an out-of-state license, you need a secondary form of ID such as a Student ID or Social Security Card
- Original Birth Certificate or other proof of citizenship
Passports for Children
Children under 16 years of age will need authorization from both parents. If both parents cannot appear with the child who is applying for the passport, they will need to present documentation to prove the parental relationship and consent of both parents. Visit the U.S. State Department website for more information and a list of approved documents for children under 16 years of age: Required Documents for Child Passports.
For a full list of required documents, more information about new passports and renewals, fees, and answers to frequently asked questions visit the State Department website.
Check on Your Passport Status
After you have completed your passport application, you can check on the status of your passport at Passport Status.