Pay A Bill
You can pay your bill online through CityLink using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card, and e-check.
When making online payments, you will need your account and customer numbers from your bill. Payments can be made by Visa or MasterCard with a credit or debit card. Please allow three business days for your online payment to post to your City of Lynchburg utility account. You will be charged a processing fee of 2.25% of the amount you are paying for each transaction you make. This fee is a convenience fee charged by Vipnet, our online credit card processing provider. The fee is not assessed by the City of Lynchburg.
- Pay via Credit Card: When making online payments, you will need your account and customer numbers from your bill. Payments can be made by Visa or MasterCard with a credit or debit card. Please allow three business days for your online payment to post to your City of Lynchburg utility account.
You will be charged a processing fee of 2.25% of the amount you are paying for each transaction you make. This fee is a convenience fee charged by Vipnet, our online credit card processing provider. The fee is not assessed by the City of Lynchburg.
- Pay via E-Checks: E-Checks are now available for utility bill payments on CityLink. You may make one-time payments or register in order to make payments to your account on a regular basis. E-Check information can not be provided by telephone and customers will not be able to pay by E-Check at the teller windows. You must perform the electronic E-Check payment on CityLink only.
There is no fee for E-Checks payments.
Automated Phone Payment
You can make an automated phone payment using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card (applicable fees will apply).
- Call 800-272-9829
- For Utility Payments select Option 3 for taxes and enter Jurisdiction code 1027
- Select Option 3 for Water/Sewer
- Enter 7-digit account number
- Enter 3-digit customer number, located after the 7-digit account number
- Example: 999999-001 (999999) is account number (001) is the customer number
- Enter 10-digit telephone number
- Enter your card information and payment amount
- Accept processing fee and receive confirmation number for payment
Automatic Bank Draft - Request Bank Draft
The City of Lynchburg Billings and Collections Division is pleased to offer an Automated Direct Payment Program for our customers. Since this is designed to electronically draft funds from your bank on the due date, this program provides a convenient and reliable method of paying your utility account for water and sewer.
To participate in the automated direct payment program complete the information requested and sign the authorization form (PDF), attach a voided check from your personal bank account, and return both to the Billings and Collections, Utility Billing office (you can find the address on this page).
The Utility Billing office will process your request upon receipt. The next utility bill issued by this office must be paid in full by the customer. The Utility Billing office sends a payment verification transaction (pre-note) to your bank on this bill and no money will be collected by bank draft. On the second bill after you have presented the authorization form your bill will include a message "Bank Draft -Do Not Pay". Your bank account will be drafted on the due date for amount reflected on the bill.
All customers are required to provide written notification 30 days prior to your bill due date, of any bank account changes or if you no longer elect to participate in the Automated Direct Payment Program.
If your bank rejects the utility payment draft for any reason, you are required to pay by cash or money order to the Billings and Collections teller in City Hall the amount of the draft, a service fee, and the security deposit. Your water service is subject to disconnect; on the next business day after notification is sent by your bank that the draft has been rejected. Additional fees will apply if your water service is terminated. It is very important for you to contact the Utility Billing Office regarding any problems with your payment. We will also advise you on the status of future bank drafts. If you have any questions or concerns about the Automated Direct Payment Plan, please contact Utility Billing at 434-455-3840.
- City Hall: 10th Street side
- Lynchburg Public Library: 2315 Memorial Avenue
- Regal River Ridge Mall: 3411 Candler's Mountain Road
A dropbox is available at City Hall, 10th Street side entrance.
Pay by Mail
When mailing your payment, please include the payment stub from your bill along with your account and customer number written on your check or money order. Payments should be mailed to:
City of Lynchburg
Utility Billing - Payment Processing Center
P.O. Box 9000
Lynchburg, VA 24505
Please note that mailing a payment without a payment stub from the bill could delay the posting of the payment to your account. When mailing your payment without the payment stub from your bill, please write the account and customer number on your check or money order and mail to:
City of Lynchburg
Utility Billing - Billing Office
P.O. Box 1237
Lynchburg, VA 24505
In-Person Payments (TEMPORARILY CLOSED FOR RENOVATION, FEBRUARY - MAY 2024)
- City Hall, 900 Church Street, Lynchburg VA 24505
- Business hours 8:30 pm to 5 pm. Monday through Friday except for legal holidays.