Neighborhood FAQs & Concerns
Please view the following some of the common types of inquiries the Neighborhood Services Division addresses.
- My neighbor is not cutting their grass. What can be done?
You may not allow weeds/grass to grow in excess of 12 inches. If you would like to file a complaint, please call 434-856-2489 (CITY) or visit the Citizens First page.
- My neighbor's yard is a mess and trash is everywhere. What can be done?
An accumulation of trash/debris on a property may be a violation of the public nuisance ordinance and must be cleaned up. If you would like to file a complaint, please call 434-856-2489 (CITY) or visit the Citizens First page.
- I am planning an addition to my house or building a detached garage. What are the setbacks for my property?
There are different setback requirements for building additions and accessory structures. For more information, please contact the Zoning and Natural Resources Division at 434-455-3900.
- How do I get a handicap parking space in front of my house?
- A tree is hanging over my property from my neighbor's yard. How can I get the City to do something about it?
The City only addresses tree complaints when there is an apparent hazard to or from public property. Many tree complaints are considered a private nuisance and must be addressed by the affected private property owners.
- My neighbor has a junk vehicle or someone has left their junk vehicle on my property. What can be done?
Vehicles on private property must have valid state tags, and state inspection and must be in running order. Vehicles on the street are addressed by the Lynchburg Police Department. Please contact us at 434-856-2489 (CITY) or follow this link to Citizens First to file a complaint. Please provide a description of the vehicle and specify whether it is on public or private property.
- I believe there are too many people living in the house next door. What can be done?
In general, no more than three unrelated people are allowed to reside in a dwelling unit (apartment, home, trailer, duplex unit, etc.) anywhere within the City limits. There are many different scenarios and each case may be different. Please provide as much description as possible and file a complaint by calling 434-856-2489 (CITY) or visiting the Citizens First page.
- I believe there is illegal business next door. What can be done?
There are certain businesses allowed to operate out of a single-household dwelling. If you believe the business might not be allowed, please provide as much information as possible by calling 434-856-2489 (CITY) or visiting the Citizens First page.
- How high may I build my fence and what are the setbacks from neighbor's yard?
Even though a permit to construct a fence is not required, there are height restrictions that must be obeyed. Please contact the Zoning and Natural Resources Division at 455-3900 for more information before erecting your fence.
- I would like to put up a sign on my business. What are the restrictions? What about banners or temporary signs?
If you want to install a sign on your business, there are restrictions for size, height, and number of signs depending on the zoning classification where your business is located. Please contact the Zoning and Natural Resources Division at 434-455-3900 for further information or follow this link to the sign permit application.
- The house next door is vacant and people appear to be using it for suspicious activity. What can be done?
Vacant structures are secured by the City if the owner fails to comply. Please file a complaint by calling 434-856-2489 (CITY) or visiting the Citizens First page.
- Can my neighbor park his commercial vehicle on their property?
In general, no commercial vehicles can be parked or stored in a residential district. Please file a complaint by calling 34-856-2489 (CITY) or visiting the Citizens First page.
- How do I apply for a business license?
The start of the approval process for obtaining a business license begins with the Zoning and Natural Resources Division. Please visit the Zoning and Natural Resources page for the Business License Zoning Approval form.