Become a Lynchburg Firefighter
We're glad you checked in to see what it takes to join our team of highly qualified firefighters. Below is a summary of the City's hiring process in regard to becoming a Lynchburg firefighter. Sign up to be notified when we are ready to start hiring for our next class of recruits. Just check the "Fire and EMS" box on the list.
- Be 18 years of age by the date of the offer of employment
- High school graduate (or GED)
- High moral standards
- Valid Driver's License
- Acceptable DMV, Physical, Mental Health, and extensive background check
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)-Basic, EMT-Paramedic preferred, but not required
Please note: Applicants must possess a valid Virginia Driver's License by the time they begin the recruit academy.
Salary & Benefits
The starting salary for an entry level Firefighter/Basic Life Support (BLS) is $47,507 annually, with increases upon the successful completion of our recruit academy and following 1 year of probationary status. Additional pay is available for other specialty certifications, such as Technical Rescue and Hazardous Materials. Firefighter/Advanced Life Support (ALS) pay starts at $54,200, and shift differential pay is available for medic unit staffing.
Employees are also eligible for a generous benefits package including paid vacation leave, holiday hours, sick leave, health, dental and prescription drug insurance, life insurance, Virginia Retirement System retirement plan, paid education and training, and other supplemental benefits.
The Hiring Process
The Lynchburg Fire Department utilizes a multiphase selection process including:
- Written application
- Written exam (study resources available)
- Completion of a personal history statement (PDF)
- Oral interview board (five member panel)
- Conditional job offer
- Extensive background check, including DMV, criminal history, and polygraph examination
- A medical/clinical evaluation
- A psychological evaluation
- Hired as a Recruit Firefighter
- Begin recruit academy
The entire process may last four to five months, depending on the number of applicants and available openings. Once an application is received, specific steps regarding the hiring process and timelines will be communicated via email.
New employees of the Lynchburg Fire Department who do not qualify as an Experienced Provider must complete a 28-week recruit academy. Successful completion of the following is required:
- Virginia Department of Fire Programs Firefighter I and II
- Hazardous Materials Operations
- HTR Module II and Vehicle Rescue
- EMT-Basic training and certification
Experienced providers are those who possess all of the minimum certifications and experience. Experienced providers initial employment training can generally range from 4 to 8 weeks, depending on the specific needs. For more information on the Experienced Provider track, please contact us at 434-455-HIRE.
The City employs continuous learning and preparation as essential elements for a safe and rewarding Lynchburg Fire Department career in order to maintain the highest level of readiness to meet the community's needs.
The following are Recruit Academy graduation videos that provide a look at the Recruit Academy journey!