Alarm System Information
The Alarm Ordinance
Each alarm system must be registered with the City and renewed annually. The alarm year runs from July 1 - June 30.
Annual Permit Fees
- Residential $30.00
- Small Business $45.00 (no more than 2,000 sq. ft. of space or 5 employees)
- Industry $55.00
The application for an alarm user's permit shall be made on an Alarm Permit Application Form which can be electronically submitted or printed using the link below. Payment of the permit fee for each alarm system should not be submitted with this initial application. An invoice will be sent after receipt of this application with the fee payable to the City Collections Division.
Alarm Permit Application Link
If you choose to manually fill out the form, either mail, fax, or email the completed form to:Department of Emergency Services
3621 Candlers Mountain Rd. Lynchburg, VA 24502 Attn: Alarm Coordinator
- Anyone selling alarm systems in the City of Lynchburg must have a business license and a Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) license. If a salesperson comes to your door, selling alarm systems, make sure they present a current DCJS license before conducting business with them. DCJS is online at http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov. Use this website to make sure an alarm company is registered and has a valid business license.
- Take time to weigh the merits of any alarm system. Don’t be tempted by offers that are “good for one day only.”
- Get several estimates and compare pricing. It’s good practice to get three (3) quotes anytime you are purchasing a service which protects your family and property.
- Read your alarm contract carefully before you sign it. If you do not understand a part of the contract, seek clarification before committing to the contract.
- Some alarm systems, where the system is free, have a three (3) to five (5) year minimum contract requiring monthly payments. These contracts do not allow people to ‘break’ the contract for several years.
- If you purchase an alarm system from a door-to-door salesperson, remember the Virginia Home Solicitation Sales Act gives you the right to cancel your purchase within three (3) days from the date of purchase.
- The alarm salesperson should have advised you of the local alarm system ordinance. The City of Lynchburg has an ordinance which requires anyone with an alarm system to purchase an alarm permit annually.
False Alarm Fees
Two (2) "FREE" (no fine) false alarms are allowed per year.
SCHEDULE OF FINES FOR FALSE ALARMS
|3rd, 4th, 5th Alarm||$50 each|
6th Alarm, Required Inspection of System
|Additional Alarm||$200 each|
Lynchburg City Code Chapter 27 Article IV - Alarm Systems
Click on a topic below to view the Lynchburg City Code Section for that topic.
For more alarm information contact us at (434) 455-4290.