Become a Lynchburg Firefighter
We're glad you checked in to see what it takes to join our team of highly qualified firefighters. Below is a summary of the City's hiring process in regard to becoming a Lynchburg firefighter.
- Be 18 years of age by the date of the offer of employment
- High school graduate (or GED)
- High moral standards
- Valid Driver's License*
- Acceptable DMV, Physical, Mental Health, and extensive background check
- EMT-Basic, EMT-Paramedic preferred, but not required
*Applicants must possess a valid Virginia Driver's License by the time they begin the recruit academy.
Salary and Benefits
The Hiring Process
- Written application
- Written exam (study resources available here)
- Completion of a personal history statement (Click here)
- Oral interview board (five member panel)
- Conditional job offer
- Extensive background check, including DMV, criminal history, and polygraph examination
- A medical/clinical evaluation
- A psychological evaluation
- Hired as a Recruit Firefighter
- Begin recruit academy
- Virginia Department of Fire Programs Firefighter I and II
- Hazardous Materials Operations
- HTR Module II and Vehicle Rescue
- EMT-Basic training and certification
The City employs continuous learning and preparation as essential elements for a safe and rewarding Lynchburg Fire Department career in order to maintain the highest level of readiness to meet the community's needs.
Below are links to several of the Recruit Academy graduation videos that provide a look at the Recruit Academy journey!
|2019 Graduation Video (Recruit Academy #18)|
For more information, contact:
(434) 455-HIRE (4473)