You are here
Benefits Deadlines and Payroll Deductions
The following outlines the process for submitting benefits enrollment and changes to Human Resources and payroll deductions
Deadlines and Payroll Deduction Changes
Once the benefits enrollment form and all supporting documentation have been received, changes will be keyed in payroll as outlined in the Accounting Operations Calendar. Please refer to the Accounting Operations Calendar located on City Notes for deadlines on when changes are due to Human Resources. No refunds or credits will be issued.
- If adding a newborn, provide a copy of the birth certificate or birth letter.
- If adding a spouse due to marriage, provide a copy of the marriage license.
- If removing spouse due to divorce, provide a copy of the divorce decree.
- If adding or removing dependents due to loss or obtaining other coverage, provide a copy of documentation showing effective date of other coverage.
Contact Human Resources for information on making changes online.
- If hired on the 1st of a month, insurance is effective the 1st of that month.
- If hired after the 1st of a month, insurance is effective the 1st of the following month.
- Qualifying events include birth/adoption of a child, divorce, marriage, and loss of coverage.
- You must notify Human Resources within 31 days of the qualifying event.
- If adding a newborn, insurance is effective the date of birth.
- If adding a spouse, insurance is effective the 1st of the following month.
- Additional premiums may be deducted due to qualifying event.
- If employment ends the 1st through the 15th, insurance coverage will be canceled on the 15th of the month.
- If employment ends the 16th through 31st, insurance coverage will be canceled at the end of the month.
- You will receive a COBRA election notice in the mail within two weeks of your termination, which covers insurance options and rates.
- Contact Human Resources at (434) 455-4200 with questions.
Short Term Disability (STD) for Hybrid Plan Employees
While out on short-term disability, employees continue to accrue leave. Employees can use leave while out on short-term disability. The leave they use can’t exceed the amount allowed based on the short-term disability benefit.
Applying for STD (File a Claim)
To request a disability application from Human Resources, call (434) 455-4213. Return your completed application to Human Resources or fax it to The Standard Benefit Administrators at (800) 378-8361. Provide copy of your completed application to Human Resources.
Requesting an Extension on STD
Employees will receive a form provided by The Standard Benefit Administrators for the physician to complete requesting an extension on short-term disability.
Contact Human Resources Payroll at (434) 455-4206.
Short Term Disability Income Replacement
STD Income Replacement is processed through the payroll system upon notice of approval from The Standard Benefit Administrators. If the notice of approval falls outside of the payroll schedule, payroll will process any back pay on the short-term disability in the following pay period.
While on worker’s compensation, employees continue to accrue leave. The leave accrued will be available to use when the employee returns to work.
Applying for Worker’s Compensation
Contact Human Resources Benefits at (434) 455-4213.
Worker’s Compensation Supplement
Supplements are processed through the payroll system upon notification from Human Resources Benefits.