The City of Lynchburg encourages participation in the life of our community and provides opportunities for individuals to work together to solve community-wide issues. Working together to improve dialog about issues, fostering mutual help, or bringing new ideas to life so our community can thrive are just a few of the rewarding benefits of civic service.
Serve on a board or commission
We’re looking for people who would like to help in the following ways:
- Planning Commission: Help make the city a great place for residents & businesses to work with each other.
- School Board: Serve Lynchburg students and parents to help make education the best that it can be for the next generation.
- Economic Development: Help attract businesses to Lynchburg and encourage businesses in their work to provide services and products.
- And more…
If these boards interest you, please let us know! We’d love to have your ideas and energy serving our city. Please send an email to the Interim Clerk of Council, firstname.lastname@example.org.
View a comprehensive list of boards and commissions that could use your help.
Other ways to get involved
- Sign Up to Clean Your Block (April)
- Volunteer in the City of Lynchburg
- Work for the City of Lynchburg
- Be more knowledgeable about how how local government works
- Stay informed on social media
- Listen to your City Council members debate the issues
- Help shelter pets during disasters
- Help our water clean/environment
- Keep neighborhoods safe
- Get alerts as they happen
- Help poverty reduction
- Volunteer at the jail
- Become a market vendor
- Ride-along in a Fire Truck
- Become a Friend of the Library
- Volunteer at the museum
- Parks & Rec (Instructors, Tutors, Nature Zone, more)
- Help with elections
- Become a foster family
- Participate in the International Festival
Find out more about community engagement
Are you interested in other ways to serve the Lynchburg community? We’d love to hear from you and are working to create a plan to foster connection between public and private sectors for the benefit of both. Please contact our Communications & Public Engagement Department using the contact info below if you have ideas for ways we can be more effective as a community or for opportunities that you may have for participation.
City of Lynchburg
Communications & Public Engagement