You are here
Trash Collection System Changes Began October 1, 2020
Trash decals have been eliminated; instead, a $10 trash disposal fee will be added to your monthly water utility bill. This new system also includes a different and improved method to collect your brush and bulk items. Your current trash collection day will NOT change. We appreciate your patience and cooperation during the implementation of this new system.
Under the new system, you will no longer have to purchase a decal for your trash cart. Beginning with October water utility bills, there will be a monthly service fee of $10 applied to your bill to cover the cost of trash collection. This charge will be the same for every customer regardless of the size of the trash cart used. Please note that businesses located in the Central Business District that receive twice weekly trash collection will receive a $20 charge on their water utility bills.
We understand there may be customers who will want to switch their 32-gallon cart to the larger, 64-gallon cart. You may do so by calling the Citizens First Information Center at (434) 856-CITY (2489). You will still be able to purchase blue bags should you have more trash than your cart can hold with the lid closed.
View the Trash Collection Guidelines.
View the FAQs: Trash Collection System FAQs.
Brush & Bulk Collection Schedule Began October 1, 2020
In order to minimize the time between brush and bulk set outs and collection of the materials, a new collection timeline went into effect October, 2020.
- Beginning October 1, you may set out your brush and/or bulk NO EARLIER than 7AM on the Saturday before your scheduled pickup week and NO LATER than 7AM on the Monday of your scheduled pickup week.
View the Brush & Bulk Guidelines.
- If your trash collection day is on Monday, then your brush and bulk pickup week is the FIRST FULL week of the month.
- If your trash collection day is on Tuesday, then your brush and bulk pickup week is the SECOND WEEK of the month.
- If your trash collection day is on Wednesday, then your brush and bulk pickup week is the THIRD WEEK of the month.
- If your trash collection day is on Thursday, then your brush and bulk pickup week is the FOURTH WEEK of the month.
|Brush and Bulk Pickup Schedule|
|Trash Collection Day||Brush and Bulk Pickup Week|
|Monday||1st FULL* week of the month|
|*Full week: Full seven-day week
Please have your separated brush and bulk items at the curb no earlier than 7:00 am the Saturday before your scheduled collection week and no later than 7:00 am on the Monday of your scheduled collection week.